What is help desk? The ability to provide technical assistance to the users of computer hardware and software is essential to the success of any organization and its continued operation. This event provides recognition for FBLA members who demonstrate an understanding of and ability to provide technical assistance to end users
Eligibility- Each state may enter two (2) participants who are members from active local chapters, on record in the national center as having paid dues by March 1 of the current school year.
Overview- This event consists of two (2) parts: an objective test and a performance component. A one (1) hour objective test will be administered based on competencies listed. Participants are required to complete both parts of the event to be eligible to win an award. An interactive/role-play situation will be given based on customer service in the technical field.
• The top fifteen (15) individuals with the highest score on the objective test will advance to the final round. The objective test score will be used to break a tie.
• All participants will be sequestered before the first performance to receive instructions and time assignments.
• Ten (10) minutes before the performance, each participant will receive the scenario.
• Two (2) 4” x 6” note cards will be provided for each participant and may be used during the preparation and performance of the scenario. Information may be written on both sides of the note cards. Note cards will be collected following the presentation.
• No reference materials, visual aids, or electronic devices may be brought to or used during the preparation or performance.
• The participant has five (5) minutes to interact with a panel of judges to demonstrate in a clear and effective way how he/she would solve the problem.
• This is a role play event with open exchange between the participants and the judges throughout the presentation.
• At the end of four (4) minutes, a timekeeper will stand until noticed and hold up a colored time card indicating one minute is left, and at five (5) minutes the timekeeper will stand and hold up a colored time card indicating time is up.
• The final performance is open to conference attendees who are not performing participants in the final round of this event.
Objective Test Competencies
• Help desk operations and procedures
• Customer Management
• Support center infrastructure and procedures
• Professional career and leadership skills